DIET INSTRUCTIONS FOR NAUSEA, VOMITING AND/OR DIARRHEA
- Re-hydration with clear liquids is MOST important.
- When actively vomiting, take no food or liquid.
- At first try ice chips, sips of Gatorade, or carbonated drinks (after vomiting has subsided). If you tolerate #3 with no vomiting or diarrhea, begin #4 in addition to #3.
- Clear liquids: jello, bouillon, clear broth, dry toast, crackers.
- If you continue to improve try oatmeal, plain yogurt, pudding, thin soups, apple sauce, canned fruit cocktail, mashed or baked potato, rice or plain pasta. Gradually resume diet.
AVOID until several days after recovery:
- Any foods that usually cause stomach problems for you
- Greasy or fried foods
- Raw fruits and vegetables
- Alcoholic beverages
- Spicy foods such as spaghetti, pizza, tacos, Chinese foods
For diarrhea only – the BRAT diet:
If problems persist or recur, COME TO THE STUDENT HEALTH SERVICE.